Organic short grain brown rice
Short grain brown rice is one of the most versatile and nutritious staples for your store cupboard. Cooking it, as with any whole grain, takes a little extra time to prepare but the reward comes from making enough to use the following day in a variety of combinations.
Short grain brown rice has a unique nutty flavour with a soft but chewy texture; the key to holding its shape (and not becoming mushy) lies in the method of cooking and the ratio of rice to water.
Measure one cup of rice to two cups of water.
1. Rinse the rice under cold running water and drain.
2. Place the rice, measured water and a good pinch of salt in a heavy based saucepan.
3. Bring to the boil before placing a tight fitting lid and reduce the heat to very low.
4. Allow the rice to simmer gently without removing the lid for 35 to 40 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat, keeping the lid on, and allow to steam for a further 10 minutes. This is an important stage which allows the rice to absorb all the moisture and helps to avoid mushiness. Loosen the grains with a fork before serving.
One cup of raw rice will yield approximately three cups of cooked rice.
Serve warm with the recipe of your choice and store any cooled extras in the fridge to use for fillings, salads or stir- fry.