Nourish - How to Cook the Perfect – Brown Rice
Short grain brown rice is one of the most versatile and nutritious staples for your store cupboard. Cooking it, as with any whole grain, takes a little extra time to prepare but the reward comes from making enough to use the following day in a variety of combinations.
Short grain brown rice has a unique nutty flavour with a soft but chewy texture; the key to holding its shape (and not becoming mushy) lies in the method of cooking and the ratio of rice to water.
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
One cup of raw rice will yield approximately three cups of cooked rice.
- Measure one cup of rice to two cups of water.
- Rinse the rice under cold running water and drain.
- 2. Place the rice, measured water and a good pinch of salt in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Bring to the boil before placing a tight-fitting lid and reduce the heat to very low.
- Allow the rice to simmer gently without removing the lid for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, keeping the lid on, and allow to steam for a further 10 minutes. This is an important stage which allows the rice to absorb all the moisture and helps to avoid mushiness. Loosen the grains with a fork before serving.
Serve warm with the recipe of your choice and store any cooled extras in the fridge to use for fillings, salads or stir- fry.