Nourish - How to Cook the Perfect – Butter Beans
Butter beans, as their name suggests have a rich creamy texture and taste which can be used in all manner of stews, curries, salads and pates. Cooked from scratch (or tinned) they are very satisfying as a main meal or side dish, packed with fibre and protein.
- Dried butter beans
- Water (enough to cover the beans well)
1. Dried butter beans need to be soaked overnight in cold water.
2. Refresh the water after soaking and boil in a pan with a bay leaf and/or a strip of kombu which assists in the digestion of most dried beans.
3. Cooking time can vary according to the quality or age of the beans but generally take at least an hour simmering on a medium to low heat.
4. Test them towards the end of cooking and remove from the heat before they start to break up.