”This is my old variation about carrot cake with a twist of Italian mascarpone, slightly changed when I was pregnant and diagnosed with gestational diabetes. So it has very low GI, no sugar, only whole wheat or spelt and plenty of veg as it is carrot cake ! If you’re looking for dairy free – skipping icing will do the work. Hope you will enjoy that and have a chance not only read it but also bake it as it is super easy and quick!”
150 ml rapeseed, sunflower oil or grapeseed oil
200 g whole wheat or spelt meal flour
1 tbsp of mixed spice
1 tsp soda bread
1 tsp baking powder
200 g carrot (peeled and grated)
zest of 1 lemon
1 handful of desiccated coconut
125 g mascarpone
125 ml fresh cream
1. Set oven for 180°C and lie loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Mix xylitol with eggs until fluffy and add oil.
3. Stir in flour, spices, soda bread, baking powder to wet ingredients and then fold in carrot, zest and coconut.
4. Transfer batter to the tin and bake for 35-40 min.
5. To make icing beat cold cream until is fluffy and then add mascarpone. Spread on cake when is cold. You can sprinkle that with any kind of crushed nuts or lemon zest. Yumm!