Nourish - Sadhbh’s Coconut & Raspberry Spelt Scones
Sadhbh was one of our successful entries into The Great Nourish Bake-off.
How delectable do these scones look? Perfect for a coffee morning, bake sale, or just topped with homemade jam and whipped cream/non-dairy cream!
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C/200 degrees fan oven.
- Dust a baking tray with flour.
- If you are making vegan scones, make your flax egg by combining 1 tbsp of ground flax with 3 tbsp of water and leave to set for 15 mins.
- Place 100ml almond milk in a jug and add 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Stir with a fork and leave for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and desiccated coconut.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Try not to handle it too much!
- Add the vanilla extract and your egg to the jug of milk and whisk together. Pour half of this into the dry ingredients.
- Start to bring the mix together with your hand. It will be dry and crumbly – don’t worry. Add your berries and gradually add the other half of the milk mixture, mixing each time, until the dough has come together. Don’t have the dough too wet!
- Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and roll out to the thickness you want (usually 4-5cm for me). Dust the dough with a little extra flour if it is a bit wet. Using a scone cutter, cut out 6-8 scones and place on the baking tray.
- Cook for around 20 mins or until golden-brown in colour. Enjoy!