Nourish - Shane’s Vegan Banana Bread
Today we bring you a deliciously moreish vegan banana bread recipe by Shane.
This sweet treat blends speckled bananas with the crunch of walnuts, the sweetness of chocolate and the warmth of nutmeg.
Eat it fresh, or toast it after a couple of days and spread a healthy slathering of almond butter on top – yum!
- 3 to 4 large speckled to black bananas (I mostly use 4)
- 75g vegetable or sunflower oil (weight)
- 100g brown or unrefined sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- (or use plain flour and add a spoon of baking soda)
- 2 heaped tsp baking soda
- 1tsp nutmeg ( or to taste)
- a good pinch of fine salt
- 50g walnuts
- 50g dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 200°c.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Mash or blend the bananas with a hand soup mixer into a liquid/mush.
- Whisk in the sugar and oil.
- Now whisk the flour mix into the banana mix.
- The most important part is that you don’t add the walnuts or chocolate until this point or you end up with clumps of flour trapped in the creases of the nuts. So you want to be adding them to a wet batter. Just break up the chocolate into chunks and mix it in.
- Place the batter into a loaf tin – 2lb/900kg size. I use a silicon one it’s great for non-stick. Otherwise, use backing parchment and rub a little sunflower oil onto it and line the tin.
- Cook for 20 minutes
- Now cover with tinfoil and turn down to 180°C for a further 20mins to prevent burning.
- It should be cooked but check with a knife or skewer; sometimes you might want it gooier. Give it an extra 10mins if you think it needs it.
- Put aside to cool for ten minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- 30mins out of the oven it is still warm and just the best.
Eat within 3 days, as if it will last that long.
I’ve played with this vegan banana bread recipe a lot over the last year. I’ve adapted it for the better over time from two original recipes. It’s a combination of a non-vegan recipe & a vegan one; the best of both worlds if you will.
The original recipe contained eggs and butter but I have adapted this to be vegan-friendly you really do not miss them, trust me. I am not a vegan and I’m a huge cake, pie and bread fan.
The bananas create more than enough moisture to this bread that the eggs just aren’t needed for binding and the sunflower oil works as the perfect butter replacement.
I love feeding this vegan banana bread to my vegan friends and watching their eyes light up in delight. That is, if I haven’t eaten it all myself 😉
If you are a really good person you might share it with some friends but I won’t judge you if you eat it all by yourself. Often when I make this, myself and Jose in the office don’t tell anybody and split it 50/50. #SorryNotSorry
If you’re a banana bread fan, don’t forget to check out our other banana bread recipe in the blog recipe archive. This morish vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe it also d-lish!