This salad can be served warm or cold. The classic garam masala gives it a subtle depth of flavour without being ‘hot’.
- Prepare the spices by grinding in a mill or coffee grinder.
- Cut the onion in half, slicing one half thinly to caramelize* for garnish.
- Chop the other half finely with the garlic and sauté on a medium heat in the oil along with the finely diced carrot and spices.
- As the spices will start to catch on the pan, add a splash of water to prevent them burning or sticking.
- Continue to stir fry until the carrots are tender and the water has evaporated. Add the peas and chopped coriander a minute or two towards the end.
- Combine the spiced vegetables with the rice and garnish with caramelized onions and coriander leaves.
- *Place the finely sliced onions on a dry non-stick pan on a very low heat. Stir them around as they begin to colour.