Nourish - How to Cook the Perfect – Basmati Rice
Brown basmati rice has a delicate fragrance and most popular in Asian cuisine, marrying well with warm spices.
It can be tricky to cook, often turning out too mushy because too much water has been used. I have cooked it with less water than it generally says on the pack; one cup of rice to one and a half cups of water. It should be well rinsed in a sieve under running water and let drain before adding the cooking water or broth.
1 cup Basmati rice
1 and a half cups of water
- Measure the desired quantity of rice, rinse and drain.
- Add 1 ½ times the volume of cold water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring just to the boil on a moderate heat. As soon as it starts to bubble reduce the heat to very low and place a tight-fitting lid on the pot.
- Don’t remove the lid or be tempted to stir the rice while it cooks for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, leaving the lid on, and allow it to sit for another 10 minutes before loosening the grains with a fork.
- As with all grains, it is wise to cook double the required amount to use cold or reheated the following day.
Any questions? Drop into your local Nourish store to speak with our team and find our full range of foods, supplements and skincare. You can also explore our online store.