Nourish - Moreish Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Ah, this cake. I would almost label it as a ‘Friend Winning Cake’, for without fail, every time I have brought this as a party favour I have been asked/begged for the recipe. Maybe my friends like this cake more than they like me. I hope not, but I’d kind of understand.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C and generously grease a 9 x 9 cake tine with coconut oil.
- Gently melt the coconut oil in a pot and allow to cool. Try to avoid melting the oil in a microwave, as this will destroy its nutritional properties. I know that we’re baking here, but why should we treat our ingredients any less lovingly?
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients, except for the chocolate, in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl. Whisk in the melted oil and coconut sugar until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and fold until just about combined. Now mix in the rice milk and continue to stir until all is incorporated. Finally, fold in the chopped chocolate pieces.
- Smoothly pour the batter into the greased cake tin. Bake for about 40 minutes until the cake is a deep, golden brown.
This moreish vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe was inspired by Dana Bueno’s recipe on food52.com. We have changed up the ingredients a little bit to make it more ‘healthy eating’ friendly.
This vegan chocolate chip banana bread strikes the perfect medium between delectably dense and moist, and light and fluffy. Combining the sweetness of over-ripe bananas with the richness of 80% dark chocolate helps to bring the perfect balance of flavour and texture. Equally, this means that a slice holds its own and doesn’t need to be paired with anything else to make the perfect dessert, birthday cake, tea-time snack. Or.. breakfast 😉
As usual, feel free to adjust items as needed. For example, the sugar quantities are up for adjustment based on your personal sweet-tooth. On occasion, I have cut the amount of sugar to 50g for a less indulgent treat and dressed it up with a heavenly slather of almond butter.
Your vegan chocolate chip banana bread will last for up to five days in an airtight container. That is if it actually survives that long, uneaten. *cough* quilty party over here!
If you’re a fan of banana bread, don’t forget to check out Shane’s vegan banana bread here. It’s also one for the table *drool*.