When you think of pizza, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Well, I know for many (myself included) it’s ‘heaven on earth’ , but then what do you think of? An occasional treat? High fat? Unhealthy?
This seems to be the opinion of many, however what if I told you I had created a super healthy, high fibre, high protein, absolutely delicious version of the classic favorite?
What if I also told you that it was far easier to make than traditional homemade pizza? There’s no dough, no rising, nothing. Just blitz it all up, fry like a panacke, cover with toppings and bake for a couple of minutes.
This is great recipe to make with the kids on a rainy Saturday, or for a bit of casual dinner party fun! It could even be a pretty awesome date night idea… Give it a shot, let me know how it went, and send me pictures as I am so excited to see all of your personal touches!
For the Base
- 400g Uncooked Red Lentils
- 450mls Water
- Heaped tsp Vegetable Stock Powder
- 1 Large Clove Garlic
- Tsp Dried Italian Herbs
- Tomato Sauce (homemade, passata, tomato puree, whichever you prefer)
- Vegan Mozerella (violife available instore)
- Assorted Veg, olives, herbs, pestos, etc
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C
- Blitz all of the base ingredients together in the blender until a smooth(ish) batter is formed. You will more than likely still have some whole lentils still floating about
- Heat a medium non-stick frying pan.
- Use a little oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Pour a ladle full of the batter into the pan and smooth accross as though cooking a pancake. It should be around the thickness of a thin crust pizza base, or a thick pancake.
- Cook on a medium heat until you feel it is ready to be flipped.
- Flip and leave on the medium-low heat until cooked through.
- Slide the base onto a board and continue to cook the bases a ladle or so at a time.
- Smooth your tomato sauce over the top and add which ever toppings you wish.
- Bake in the oven for 7-10 mins
- Serve sprinkled with rocket with a drizzle of good quality balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.