What looks better on a picnic table than a beautifully pasta salad slathered in a blushing pink pesto? Pink pesto you ask? Well once you add beetroot to your pesto you’ll never look back. A perfectly subtle sweet and earthy flavour coupled with fresh garlic and toasted walnuts – a match made in heaven. If you want to get the full beauty of this dish, I would suggest roasting your own beetroots but if you want to add pre-cooked shop bought beetroot that will of course work also (Just steer clear of the jarred stuff!)
- 3 Large beetroots (cooked)
- Fresh Garlic. The amount depends on your taste but I use 3 cloves.
- ½ Cup of walnuts
- A good squeeze of lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- A handful of basil or parsley
- Start by toasting the walnuts. Preheat the oven to 150C. Scatter the walnuts over a baking tray and pop into the oven for 6-7 minutes. It’s essential that you keep an eye on them or you could be throwing out burnt nuts for the rest of the day!
- When the beetroots are ready, chop into smaller pieces and add to your food processor. Simply add the rest of the ingredients and blend until you reach your desired consistency.
- Give the pesto a taste and add some more lemon juice, salt, or pepper as you feel it needs. If you prefer a more liquid consistency you can add more olive oil to the mix.
- Stir through pasta or spread over some good quality toasted bread for a delicious snack.