I know what everyone’s thinking – another complicated Vegan Lasagne, but let me stop you right there and allow me to quickly tell my story. How I always refused to make it because it just sounded very elaborated, complicated and time-consuming. Maybe I’ve been living under a rock but I was surprised to realise how easy and handy it turned out to be.
This is the recipe to go for when you just want to cook something that looks spectacular, yet it is really easy to make without compromising any of the taste. And yes it’s 100% Vegan!
It all happened because I was invited to a Christmas Party with my friends this year and we all had to bring our own dish to share. This honestly sounded like a terrific idea; except I didn’t have a clue what to make.
My friend suggested Lasagne, which immediately made me reply with a solid NO! As it was very complicated and we wouldn’t have enough time nor patience for it.
She insisted and we decided to proceed with it. Voila – it turned out to be simpler than expected and veganising it wasn’t an issue at all! It turned out two other couples brought Lasagne as well to the party. One was Vegetarian and the other two were Vegan. Ours was the favourite one of course (some modesty please) and here is the full recipe:
- 1 courgette
- 3 peppers
- 2 red onion
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 150g mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large tomato
- 750ml of your favourite tomato sauce
- a small bag of baby spinach leaves
- a packet of lasagne sheets
- vegan cheese (we use Violife Original for pizza – yummy!)
- Chop the courgette, peppers, red onion, garlic and mushrooms into small pieces. How you chop them is up to you – it depends on whether you like a chunky or a smooth lasagne.
- If you desire, lightly stir-fry the vegetables to give it a smoother texture (I personally like my lasagne a bit more on the crunchier side, so I skipped this step).
- Cover the container with a light layer of margarine or vegetable oil.
- Begin to layer the container – a layer of pasta sheets at the bottom, then some tomato sauce, the vegetables, spinach and a few basil leaves.
- Repeat these layers until the container is full. Finish with a layer of pasta sheets and tomato sauce on top.
- Grate the vegan cheese and spread a decent amount across the top of the lasagne. Top it all off with a few slices of tomato.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 200°C for an hour and a half. Take tin foil off for final 20 minutes to crisp the cheese (optional).
- Garnish and serve.