Nourish - Beat the Breakfast Blues: Probiotic Muesli with Chia Pudding and Acai Topping
Welcome to part two of the Beat the Breakfast Blues blog series.
Today we’ve got a really delicious probiotic muesli featuring the superfood berry, acai.
Originating from the Amazon, acai is an antioxidant powerhouse and is loaded with polyphenols (think red wine, dark chocolate), helping to support a healthy immune function and protect against oxidative damage.
Check out our sister blog to this one here, where we cover how to make your chia seed pudding base 🙂
- a handful of oats
- 1-2 of flaxseeds (AKA linseeds) – ground or whole – whichever you prefer
- enough almond or coconut milk to cover the oats but not drown them
- Choose your probiotic option:
Either mix through an opened up probiotic capsule and stir through
Mix a good dollop of Coyo coconut yoghurt through for additional thickness, flavour and probiotic dose
Mix coconut or milk kefir through for a tangy flavoursome twist
- a handful of frozen mixed berries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp acai powder
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Add a handful of oats to a small bowl.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon or 2 of flaxseeds (AKA linseeds) – ground or whole – whichever you prefer
- Cover with enough almond or coconut milk to cover the oats but not drown them – just so they soak in the liquid. Leave for about 5 minutes. (Alternatively, you could do this overnight when you make the chia pudding too, it’s up to you).
- Either mix through your probiotic capsule, yoghurt or kefir.
- Blend up the frozen berries with a teaspoon of coconut sugar and a tsp of acai powder.Sometimes berries can be quite tart, so taste test before you smother your breakfast in your topping!
You may want to add a bit of cinnamon for natural sweetness or a bit more coconut sugar.
The thicker the topping the better so that you don’t pour an ocean of liquid across your bowl!
- Get out a beautiful bowl and add your chia pudding you made earlier, filling one-half of the bowl.
- Fill the other half of the bowl with your probiotic muesli and then pour over your acai topping.
- Then top off your creation with your choice of nuts e.g macadamia, cashew, almond, pecan and any additional fruit topping.
Don’t let the morning get you down. Bust those breakfast blues with other recipes from our series:
- Chia Pudding
- Veggie Frittata
- Green Smoothie
- Baked Beans
- Green Kitchen Stories – Banana & Blueberry Pancakes
- Happy Pear – Bircher Muesli / Overnight Oats