Nourish - Bulghur with Carrot and Orange Salad
This is a light and refreshing salad with the uncomplicated blend of carrot, citrus and toasted almond on a bed of bulghur wheat.
Bulghur comes from cracked whole-grain kernels of wheat that get parboiled and dried before packaging.
This makes it a very quick to cook grain and delicious addition to salads, soups, stews and more.
Before we get on with the salad recipe, I’ll give you a quick tip on how to cook bulghur for your future cooking en devours:
How to Cook Bulghur
- Measure 1 part bulghur to 1 ½ part water or vegetable stock.
- Place in a large bowl and pour the boiling liquid over, cover tightly and leave to steam. It will take 20 minutes or more for the grain to absorb all the liquid.
- The final texture should be dry when a fork is raked through to loosen the grains.
Method for Main Dish
- Mix the honey, orange and lemon juices in a bowl.
- Add the carrot and salt and leave to marinate while you prepare the almonds and oranges.
- Remove the skin and pith of the oranges with a sharp knife and carefully remove the segments by slicing either side of the membrane.
- Lightly toast the almond flakes either in the oven on 180C for several minutes, or toast them off in a dry non-stick frying pan. Keep an eye on them as they burn easily!
- Chop the mint and mix it through the bulghur.
- Add the orange segments, almonds and carrots.
- Drizzle with the citrus juices just before serving.
Almonds help to boost energy, deliver a decent whack protein and healthy fats, plus they contain potassium, magnesium, and vitamin E.
Carrots are high in the antioxidant beta-carotene (Vitamin A) which has been shown to help protect the skin against the free radical damage caused from sun exposure, benefit the skin and help maintain good eyesight.