Nourish - Courgette and Spinach Tart with Buckwheat Pastry
Buckwheat flour is used to make this gluten-free pastry base which can be used for a variety of savoury or sweet tarts.
The addition of ground flaxseed helps to make the pastry easier to roll out as well as being a rich source of omega-3, fiber and vitamins.
Ingredients for the Filling
- 1 green or yellow courgette (zucchini)
- 100g spinach leaves
- 150g goat’s cheese or feta
- 1 large free-range/organic egg
- ½ tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
Method for Pastry
- Mix the ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp cold water and chill for 15 minutes.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and add to the flour mix in a bowl by rubbing in with your fingertips until it is evenly distributed and becomes a fine crumble.
- Add the flaxseed to the mix, plus a tablespoon of water. Use a blunt knife or a fork to help mix the wet with the dry and then bring the pastry dough together with your hands.
- Form the dough into a flat circle, wrap in cling film or baking paper and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled pastry, using a sprinkling of flour to prevent sticking, and line the baking tin with it. This quantity is enough to fill a 22cm tin or about 5 small individual ones.
- Prick the base with a fork and blind bake at 180c for about 20 minutes.
Method for the Filling
- Rinse the spinach and place in a pan over a medium heat for a few minutes to wilt.
- Squeeze the cooled spinach to remove as much excess liquid as possible and roughly chop before placing in a bowl with the crumbled cheese, nutmeg and thyme.
- Sauté the onions until they have softened but not coloured. Add the garlic and stir for a minute before removing from the heat.
- Prepare the courgette by slicing thinly and charring on a skillet or grill for a few minutes each side.
- Beat the egg and mix it with the cheese and spinach.
- Layer the pastry case with the filling; starting with the onion and then the spinach and cheese mix. Place the courgettes on top and if desired a final sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 180c for about 25 minutes or until the egg mix is set.
- Serve warm or cold.
This Courgette and Spinach Tart with Buckwheat Pastry makes a nice change from the usual wheat-based pastries. It also makes a nice treat for anyone avoiding gluten out there, or for people looking for a change. Sometimes it’s just nice to have a different flavour profile and texture to your regular meals isn’t it?
This tart uses buckwheat flour to make the pasty base instead of the more commonly used, wheat flour. You can use this base for a multitude of fillings, should you desire.
Here we have combined courgette and spinach with feta onion and chives for a hearty and wholesome tart. Bring it with you on a picnic, eat it for lunch with a side salad or enjoy for dinner.
Spinach is loaded with nutrients, giving you plenty of Vitamin A, C, E and K, plus manganese, folate, zinc, magnesium, selenium and potassium.
Buckwheat, despite its name, is not a type of wheat but instead a seed of a broadleaf plant. It has been proven to be high in protein, fiber, and minerals such as magnesium. It makes a great alternative for those who can’t eat wheat, as it can be made into flour for baked goods, noodles, breads and more!