Nourish - Gluten Free Crepes with Summer Fruit Compote
This is a fast and easy way to create a scrumptious dessert or breakfast.
The crepe batter, which is made a little in advance, couldn’t be simpler. Plus, it’s gluten-free!
The fruit can be fresh or frozen berries, plums, apples, pears or cherries. Adding some rhubarb, if it is available, gives it an interesting tang.
There are many ways to vary this filling.
- Prepare the fruit by simmering gently in a pan with the juice, rind and honey for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour to a paste with a little water and stir it into the fruit mix and simmer for another few minutes. This will help to thicken the juices. Set aside to cool or keep warm if preferred.
- Place the flour into a large jug and crack the egg into the center.
- Add a tablespoon of the milk and using a balloon whisk, incorporate the flour and liquids until there are no lumps.
- Gradually add the rest of the milk and vanilla as you whisk. The consistency should be a thin batter that will coat the base of a pan. Depending on the flour, you may not need to use all of the milk.
- Set the batter aside for 20 minutes before using.
- Stir the batter before each crepe is poured onto the hot pan which has been smeared with butter or oil.
- Carefully pour just enough batter to cover the pan as it is swirled to the edges. After a few minutes turn the crepe and cook on the other side for the same length of time.
- Stack the crepes between baking paper and keep warm to serve with the fruit filling.
They can be rolled or folded and drizzled with syrup or honey if desired.
These taste good warm or cold but to avoid sogginess don’t add the fruit until ready to serve.
Cornflour – Doves gluten free, organic cornflour is great for thickening sauces and desserts. It is virtually tasteless and cuts down the need for fat as, unlike other flours, it blends to a smooth cream with liquid.