Nourish - How to Cook Dried Mixed Beans from Scratch
Dried beans are an affordable source of protein, fiber, iron, and vitamins that offer many health benefits, from gut health, heart health, blood sugar level control, cholesterol-lowering benefits as well as providing a plethora of antioxidants.For many recipes you’ll be asked to use cooked beans, such as in our mixed bean summer salad recipe, and here’s how to get them cooked to perfection!
- Dried mixed beans (or bean of choice)
- To cook dried mixed beans, first, they need to be soaked overnight or for about 12 hours in cold water.
- When they’re ready, refresh the water, covering the beans by a good few inches and boil in a pan with a bay leaf and/or a strip of kombu (this assists in the digestion of most dried beans).
- Cooking time can vary according to the quality or age of the beans but generally they take at least an hour simmering on a medium to low heat.
- Test them towards the end of cooking and remove from the heat before they start to break up.
Beans are so versatile – you can make hummus with chickpeas, cannellini beans or even butter beans. Or why not just mix them and see what delicious concoction you create?!
Combining black beans and red kidney beans in Mexican dishes works a treat, or how about throwing as many as you can think of into a big chilli?
You can add beans into almost everything! Salads, stews, curries, chilis, soups, stir-fry’s, dips, burgers and more!