Nourish - Lentil and Mushroom Cottage Pie (Gluten Free)
Made with cooked lentils and mushroom duxelles*, it is topped with a creamy mash of potatoes, carrots and parsley.
You can play around with the ingredients; sautéed celery, leeks or onions can be added to the cooked lentils. The mash can be any combination of potato, celeriac, parsnip or swede.
Serve with steamed or stir-fried kale for a wholesome dinner.
- The filling can be made by simply mixing the mushroom duxelles with the lentils.
If you don’t have the duxelles just sauté some mushrooms, onions, celery and garlic in oil until they are cooked.
- Add a little vegetable stock to create a sauce to mix with the lentils.
- Mash the potatoes, onions and parsley. Add a little butter or cream if desired to make it creamier.
- Cover the base of an oven dish with the filling and cover with the mash.
- Spread the mash to the edges with a fork and drizzle some oil or butter on top to help it crisp in the oven.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 180c until the top is golden brown and the filling is sizzling at the edges. This will take about 45 minutes.
Serve with steamed or stir-fried greens.
*See here for the previous recipe for the mushroom duxelles.
Green lentils have a pleasant earthy flavour and are very easy to prepare and require no pre-soaking. Nutritionally they are packed with folate, iron, phosphorus and potassium, and are a source of protein and fibre.