Nourish - Millet Porridge with Stewed Rhubarb (Gluten Free)
Why not give your regular oats a morning off and try this porridge made with naturally gluten-free and nutrient-rich millet instead?
The addition of coconut milk to the cooking liquid brings a creaminess to this flavoursome porridge and helps to balance the tanginess of the stewed rhubarb.
- Cook the millet in the water for about 5 minutes on a medium heat, stirring to encourage a creamy consistency.
- Add the coconut milk and 1tbsp honey/maple syrup.
- Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until the grains no longer have a chalky texture. This may take 10 or 15 minutes
- Prepare the rhubarb in advance.
- Slice the stalks in even-sized pieces and allow to simmer in 2 tbsp. water and some honey. The amount of water/honey is variable according to taste. Cook for 10 minutes or so until it has softened
- Set aside to cool.
- Garnish with toasted seeds or nuts and enjoy!
Note: Any fresh or dried fruit can be used in this recipe
When it comes to morning porridge, many people tend to stick with good ole oats. There are, however, many different ways to make porridge. And tasty porridge at that.
Millet porridge is a really nice, easy and scrummy option for those looking to jazz up their breakfast routine. Besides that, millet porridge is even gluten-free!
Although gluten-free oats are available, they can run a bit on the pricey side if you’re having them every day. Why not give the millet grain a try? You can even combine it with the gluten-free oats to eek them out a bit. As well as that, it also adds some more texture.
Coconut milk is a simple and delicious way to add a natural creaminess and sweet flavour to your meals. It also provides a healthy fat source which will help keep you fuller for longer.
Millet is a small yellow grain that has a slightly nutty flavour. It provides a great supply of nutrients, including magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese and B vitamins.