Nourish - Millet Porridge with Stewed Rhubarb (Gluten Free)
The addition of coconut milk to the cooking liquid brings a creaminess to this flavoursome porridge and helps to balance the tanginess of the stewed rhubarb.
- Cook the millet in the water for about 5 minutes on a medium heat, stirring to encourage a creamy consistency.
- Add the coconut milk and 1tbsp honey/maple syrup.
- Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until the grains no longer have a chalky texture. This may take 10 or 15 minutes
- Prepare the rhubarb in advance.
- Slice the stalks in even-sized pieces and allow to simmer in 2 tbsp. water and some honey. The amount of water/honey is variable according to taste. Cook for 10 minutes or so until it has softened
- Set aside to cool.
- Garnish with toasted seeds or nuts and enjoy!
Note: Any fresh or dried fruit can be used in this recipe
Coconut milk is a simple and delicious way to add a natural creaminess and sweet flavour to your meals. It also provides a healthy fat source which will help keep you fuller for longer.
Millet is a small yellow grain that has a slightly nutty flavour. It provides a great supply of nutrients, including magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese and B vitamins.