Nourish - Mixed Bean Burger
Beans are very versatile and you can use different types for different flavours and textures. For this recipe we’ll be using mixed beans to give our burgers their protein and blending them with celery, onion, garlic and a hint of smoked paprika for a flavour punch.
The spices can be upped if you want the burgers to be spicier, or feel free to play around with different herbs such as oregano, rosemary or thyme for different flavour combinations.
This quantity makes three small or two larger portions.
- 100g cooked mixed beans
- 1 stalk celery (tops removed)
- ½ onions or 1 spring onion
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g (approx.) breadcrumbs
- maize meal to coat (optional)
- vegetable oil for frying
- Finely chop the celery, onion and garlic and sauté in 1tbsp. oil until they have softened.
- Add the smoked paprika and cook for another minute or so, being careful not to let it burn.
- Mash or blend the beans in a processor.
- The burgers are then formed by blending all the ingredients and shaping with the hands. It may require some judgement regarding the number of breadcrumbs or egg to add; depending on the texture of the beans.
If the mix is too dry add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Coat the burgers with some maize meal or flour if desired, before frying in oil on a medium/hot pan until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve with light salad and tomato relish or hot chilli sauce.
Eggs are a great addition to patties and burgers since they help your patties hold their shape before and after cooking.
They also bring a nice protein hit to the dish.