Nourish - Quinoa Crunchy Summer Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing (Gluten Free)
This Quinoa Crunchy Summer Salad makes a wonderful side salad, light lunch or dinner.
Fresh peppery radish shares its punch with the crunch of mangetout and fragrance of basil in this lively salad mix. To complement the flavours further this salad is paired with a honey, lemon mustard dressing.
- 1 or 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 or 5 radishes
- 4 oz. mangetout (blanched or raw)
- 2 or 3 scallions
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley
- Small bunch of basil leaves
- Small bunch of chives (+ flowers to garnish if available)
Method of Cooking Quinoa
- 315g of Quinoa, 600ml water or 300 water and 330ml stock/broth
- Top Tip: It is highly necessary to rinse quinoa thoroughly under a running tap to remove its bitter coating. Do so 2-3 times to ensure you’ve got it off before cooking.
- Place the rinsed and drained quinoa in a pan with the water.
- Bring to the boil on a medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, put the lid on and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Loosen with a fork, replace the lid and let it steam off the heat for a further 10 minutes.
The cooking liquid may be water, organic vegetable stock or broth of your choice. Some recipes suggest roasting the grain (being very careful not to burn) before adding the water, to enhance its flavour.
Method for Salad
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar by shaking vigorously or whisk with a fork in a small bowl.
- Blanche the mangetout (to set their colour and flavour) by dropping them into a pot of boiling water for just 30 seconds then immediately plunging them into a bowl of ice-cold water to halt the cooking.
If using raw mangetout you can slice them diagonally. Fresh petit pois or frozen peas can replace the mange tout if preferred.
- Drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Prepare the radish and scallions by slicing thinly.
- Roughly chop the parsley, retaining some whole leaves for garnish.
- Gently combine all the ingredients, reserving the basil and parsley leaves to add just before serving.
This Quinoa Crunchy Summer Salad is a wonderful light lunch or dinner option. It can also be paired with other foods to bulk it out or to add extra satiation.
Try any of the following dishes from our recipe section to pair it with:
You can also customize this quinoa crunchy summer salad with whatever you have in the fridge. Some roasted butternut squash and avocado would be a great addition. As would roasted pepper and crushed toasted hazelnuts. Maybe you have some tomatoes lying around. Throw them in if you’re short of an ingredient. Experiment and enjoy 🙂
Quinoa is highly nutritious and has a delicious nutty flavour. It can be enjoyed as an alternative to rice, within stews, salads or even as porridge.You can find white, red and black quinoa.
Dijon mustard, which originally hails from Dijon, France is a style of prepared mustard. This prepared mustard has a pale yellow colour and slightly creamy consistency. But don’t be fooled by it’s meek appearance for it certainly packs a wallop of sharp flavor.