Nourish - Spelt and Almond Plum Cakes
It can be laced with vanilla or any spice of your choice and it can be baked as a whole cake, or as I have done here, in a muffin tray of 12.
These cakes have a pleasant tartness due to the use of pear and apple spread instead of sugar and allows the natural flavour of the fruit to come out. They can be drizzled with icing sugar or syrup if desired before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 180 c and grease the muffin tray or line with paper cases.
- Place the plums and maple syrup in a wide flat pan over a moderate heat. Allow the fruit to simmer gently, moving them around now and again, until the syrup becomes thick and sticky. Don’t overcook the plums; they should hold their shape. This should take about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool while you prepare the cake mix.
- Cream the butter and apple spread together in a bowl with an electric mixer until it is well combined.
- Gradually add the eggs (with a small spoonful of flour to prevent splitting) and mix until the eggs are completely incorporated.
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon and baking powder together and gradually fold them into the wet mix with a metal spoon.
- Fold in the ground almonds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as you mix.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 cases and carefully distribute the plums and their sticky juices on top.
You can slice the plums or leave the halves intact, depending on their size.
- Bake for about 30 minutes but check as you go.
- Allow to cool in the tray before serving with yoghurt.
They will also work well as a warm pudding to serve with homemade vanilla custard.
Plums are a medium-sized stone fruit. They are loaded with goodness, including b vitamins, vitamin C, A and antioxidants such as lutein, cryptoxanthin, and zeaxanthin.
The dried version of a plum is a prune.
Maple Syrup makes a great alternative to many other common sweeteners as it has a higher nutritional value than most.
It’s a source of antioxidants, as well as minerals such as calcium, manganese, potassium and magnesium.