Nourish - Happy Pride!
This month marks and celebrates Pride. With Dublin’s Pride Parade taking place this weekend, we want to share some of the events we are looking forward to, and some good articles on how best to be an ally.
Pride is both a party and a protest. It is an important moment to celebrate the progress that has been made for the LGBTIQA+ community but also a stark reminder of the range of struggles the community still faces today. Pride was born after the Stonewall uprising in 1969, deciding “Out of the ideas and ideals of the greater struggle that we are involved, that of our fundamental human rights” a demonstration would take place on the last Saturday of June each year in New York and that other cities would be invited to hold similar demonstrations in solidarity. This annual event became known as Pride and the first Dublin Pride March took place in June 1974. Pride is about all communities coming together in solidarity to create something meaningful and to encourage everyone to be your authentic self.
At Nourish, we welcome and celebrate equality, diversity, and inclusion. This means that we are dedicated to ensuring fair treatment for everybody and anybody. We want Nourish to be a place where everyone (employees, customers, friends, family) feels welcome and appreciated every day.
Allies can be some of the most effective and powerful voices to protect and empower the LGBTIQA+ community more. We personally cannot wait for the weekend’s festivities as it always guarantees to be important, fun and *usually* warm. Happy Pride, we hope the positive effects continue to grow.
Articles on how best to be an ally:
- LGBTQ+ Pride Month – 8 steps to being a better ally – ShelterBox
- How To Be An LGBTQ+ Ally At Work (forbes.com)
- 4 Ways How to be a LGBTQ+ Ally – Salesforce.org
- 19 Little Ways To Be A Better Ally During Pride Month, Because There’s No Time Like The Present (bustle.com)
- How to be an LGBTQ+ Ally During Pride (And Always). | Irish Tatler
LGBTQ+ Charities to support:
- National LGBTQ+ Helpline: 1800 929 539
- Transgender Family Support Line: 01 907 3707
- LGBTG+ Tele-Friending Line: 01 437 1209
Pride events across Ireland:
- June 21st: Pride Poets: spoken word & poetry night at Street 66. This can be an original piece or something already existing. Pride Poets | Dublin LGBTQ Pride (dublinpride.ie)
- Unacceptable: an art exhibition in Smithfield until June 22nd, to raise awareness of the ongoing homophobia, transphobia and biphobia experienced by members of the LGBTIQA+ community across the world. (UN)ACCEPTABLE | Dublin LGBTQ Pride (dublinpride.ie)
- June 23rd: Drag music bingo Drag Music Bingo | Dublin LGBTQ Pride (dublinpride.ie)
- Pride Village: The biggest and most diverse day of festivities for the month is celebrated this year on Saturday June 25th. March from the GPO on O’Connell Street from 12pm to Merrion Square to begin the festivities. There will be a full day festival held in Merrion Square and includes 2 stages with entertainment throughout the day, family areas, food vendors, a new sustainability zone and a quiet zone. This is completely free.
- June 28th: Believe me or not: LGBT Ireland in partnership with Irish Refugee Council created a research Project “Believe me or Not But I am Who I am, experiences of LGBTI+ asylum seekers proving credibility in the Irish international protection system.” Believe Me or Not | Dublin LGBTQ Pride (dublinpride.ie)
- June 22nd: Fashion Upcycling: Introduction to Fashion Upcycling | Dublin LGBTQ Pride (dublinpride.ie)
- June 22nd: Bike Maintenance: Introduction to Bike Maintenance | Dublin LGBTQ Pride (dublinpride.ie)
- June 22nd: Tote Bag Workshop: Tote Bag Workshop with Karina from Phelan Mizrahi | Dublin LGBTQ Pride (dublinpride.ie)
- June 22nd: Haus of W.I.G. Live! Pride Edition | Dublin LGBTQ Pride (dublinpride.ie) €12, Haus of W.I.G. Live! Pride Edition. This is an evening of festive and fierce fun, featuring drag performances, lip syncs, live music, comedy, games, dancing and merriment! Come and celebrate the art of drag in all its opulence and get ready to WERK. IT. GIRL.
- June 25th: Dublin Pride Boat Party 2022 | Dublin LGBTQ Pride €50, full bar on board, dancing, live DJ’s and drinks, need we say more!
- June 25th – 26th: Mother Pride Block Party Weekend: €45,drag aerobics, bands like Le Boom, Sing Along Social, food stalls, art installations all across 2 stages across the weekend.