Nourish - Vegan BBQ Essentials
Our amazing Essentials Manager Líadan, trained chef and Vegan, has created some of her favourite Vegan BBQ Essentials for us.
BBQ Tempeh Ribs made with Biona Ketchup
Makes 4 to 5 skewers
- One block tempeh (I used Impulse Organic Tempeh)
- 3 tbsp Biona Organic Ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari (I used Clearspring tamari)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp sunflower oil (prevents the marinade from burning)
- Cut your tempeh lengthways so each piece fits vertically on a skewer.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well to create a sauce.
- Coat the tempeh skewers in the bbq sauce and leave to marinade for 30 mins to 2 hours.
- Place skewers on the bbq, cook until nicely browned and turn regularly to prevent burning. This should take about 10 minutes but depends on the bbq.
Too Savage Garlic Potato Salad
Serves around 6
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- 80g walnuts
- Half a bunch of parsley – chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ tsp Biona Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp Too Savage Smoked Garlic Mayo
- 1 tsbp follow your heart vegenaise (optional – if you want it super garlicy, add another tbsp of Too Savage Smoked Garlic Mayo).
- Salt and black pepper
- Start by chopping the potatoes in the bitesize pieces (halfing smaller ones and quartering larger ones should do it).
- Boil the potatoes in a pot of salted water for about 15-20 minutes until tender. You want them to still retain their shape and bite. Drain and rinse in cold water to help cool them down.
- While the potatoes boil, toast your walnuts in a preheated oven (180 degrees Celsius) for about 5-10 minutes. Check and toss frequently to ensure no burning occurs.
- Roughly chop the walnuts once toasted and cooled.
- Mix the Too Savage Smoked Garlic Mayo, plain mayo (if using), lemon juice and Dijon in a bowl.
- Combine the cooled baby potatoes, toasted walnuts, chopped parsley, and mayonnaise based dressing in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Enjoy on the side of your BBQ plate!
Too Savage Smoked Garlic Corn on the Cob
Serving for as many as you like – adapt the recipe to how many people will be eating.
Ingredients to serve 2
- 2 large corn cobs
- Too Savage Garlic Mayo
- Vegan parmesan – I used Green Vie Vegan Parveggio
- Chopped parsley
- Chopped chilli’s
- Baste the corn cobs with the Too Savage Garlic Mayo and add to the BBQ grill. Turn regularly. The garlic mayo is going to help the corn brown and go crispy.
- Once cooked all around, remove from grill and top with vegan parmesan, chopped parsley & chilli’s.
Sweet Chilli Vegetable & Tofu Kebabs
Serves as many as you like – adapt the recipe to how many people will be eating.
- Biona Sweet Chilli Sauce (available in stores)
- Tofu – cut into bite size cubes
- Vegetables of your liking – I used mushrooms, peppers, courgette and red onion. Cut all into similar sizes chunks that would fit on a skewer.
- Put all your vegetables and tofu onto skewers. Glaze all the skewers in the sweet chilli sauce.
- Place your veggie skewers on the BBQ and turn regularly to prevent from burning.
- Eat from the skewer or remove and add to a pitta with some hummus!
We have a brand new product to all stores: Beyond Meat Burgers.
They are vegan burgers that look, cook, and satisfy like beef burgers. Gluten and Soy free, and 100% plant based. They care about making a positive change in this world and their burgers are made by generating 90% fewer greenhouse gas emissions.
Biona Ketchup and Sweet Chilli Sauce
Inspired by the West Coast of Ireland, Biona began on a small kitchen table in London and quickly outgrew the space. Now with 350 products, they are dedicated to 100% organic, ethically and sustainably sourced food.
Their Ketchup and Sweet Chilli sauces are all organic, vegan-friendly, and dairy-free. We have 20% off these sauces until August 2nd.
The Too Savage plant-based sauces came about from the pandemic when condiments were on the rise. Conor started Too Savage on the Northside of Dublin, when his brother tried one of his first tasters and responded, “That’s Savage.” Spicy Mayo was the original with Smoked Garlic Mayo soon following and Curry Sauce most recently. Smoked Garlic Mayo can be thrown on top of, or on the side of anything BBQ. Add it to your burger or your potatoes and enjoy the smokey goodness.
100% plant-based, formulated from a love of nature.