Nourish - Fresh Orzo Pasta Salad
This orzo pasta salad is super easy, ready in less than half an hour and can feed the full family, or the perfect side at a barbeque. It’s tasty, light and fresh!
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
Servings – 4 – 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 160g orzo (or giant couscous or pasta of choice)
- 600ml boiling water
- 2 heaped tsp Dr. Coy’s Vegetable Bouillon
- 200g chopped plum or cherry tomatoes
- 150g diced cucumber
- 1 can Biona Chickpeas, drained and rinsed in a colander
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs roughly chopped (I used a mixture of dill, parsley and basil)
For the Dressing
- 60ml olive oil, the best you can afford*
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove finely grated or ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 heaped tsp Biona Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
1. Add the olive oil to a large pot or pan. Place it over a medium heat. Add in the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add in the orzo. Stir to combine.
3. Whisk together the bouillon and water in a jug. Pour the mixture into the pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Once cooked, drain the pasta and onion mixture in a colander. Then return to the pot.
5. Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a jug until well combined; you can also do this using a hand blender.
6. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, and herbs to the pan with the orzo. Mix well.
7. Add most of the dressing, reserving a little for serving.
8. Serve straight away or store in the fridge for up to three days. Garnish with a little extra black pepper if desired.
*Extra Virgin Cold Pressed is ideal in terms of quality and flavour. Reserve it for dressings and dunking your favourite bread in!
Find the perfect sweet pairing for this here >>