Nourish - Essential Supplements for a Healthy Summer Holiday
This blog is a little late to the party, but it’s finally here! Just like summer holiday time!
Today’s blog is all about Essential Supplements for a Healthy Summer Holiday.
Summer holidays are an excellent time to relax, rejuvenate, and explore new places. And while it’s always best to obtain nutrients from whole foods, bringing along a few carefully selected supplements can provide additional support during your holidays.
Whether it’s for sun protection, immune support, or maintaining overall well-being, here are some beneficial supplements to consider bringing along on your summer holiday.
Essential Supplements for a Healthy Summer Holiday
Multivitamin and Mineral Complex
A high-quality multivitamin and mineral can help fill in potential nutrient gaps and ensure you’re getting a broad spectrum of essential vitamins and minerals.
In particular, you’re looking for a complex with a focus on antioxidants. If you’re out and about spending time under the sun, you’ll have an increased risk of free radical damage caused by UV radiation. In this case, I’d recommend bringing along an antioxidant-rich complex containing vitamins C and E, selenium, and other antioxidants. These nutrients help neutralize free radicals and protect your cells from oxidative stress.
Antioxidant supplements contain various vitamins, minerals, and other compounds that help neutralize free radicals in the body, which can cause oxidative stress and damage to cells.
Here are some nutrients to look out for:
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is one of the most well-known antioxidants. It helps protect cells from free radical damage, supports the immune system, and is essential for collagen synthesis.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is another potent antioxidant that protects cell membranes from oxidative damage. It works synergistically with vitamin C to enhance its antioxidant effect.
- Selenium: Selenium is a trace mineral that acts as an essential component of several antioxidant enzymes, including glutathione peroxidase, which helps neutralize free radicals.
- Zinc: Zinc is a mineral that plays a role in antioxidant defense and supports the immune system. It works with various enzymes to combat oxidative stress.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10): CoQ10 is a compound found naturally in the body and is involved in energy production within cells. It also acts as an antioxidant, protecting cell membranes and lipids from oxidative damage.
- Resveratrol: Resveratrol is a polyphenol found in grapes, red wine, and certain berries. It has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Quercetin: Quercetin is a flavonoid found in various fruits, vegetables, and herbs. It helps scavenge free radicals and supports cardiovascular health.
- Astaxanthin: Astaxanthin is a carotenoid pigment found in algae and seafood. It is known for its potent antioxidant activity, particularly in protecting the skin from UV damage.
- Terra Nova Living Multinutrient Complex
- Terra Nova Antioxidant Nutrient Complex
- Nature’s Plus Source Of Life Gold Adult Multivitamin Gummies
- Oxylent Mandarin Multivitamin Drink Sachets
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish oil or algae-based supplements, offer numerous health benefits. They are especially useful during summer holidays for several reasons:
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Omega-3s reduce inflammation, easing discomfort from summer activities like hiking and sports.
- Joint Health Support: They support joint health, making movement more comfortable during outdoor activities.
- Skin Protection: Omega-3s enhance the skin’s natural defense against UV-induced damage, providing extra sun protection.
- Heart Health: Omega-3s lower triglycerides, reduce blood pressure, and support overall heart health, important during summer’s challenges.
- Hydration and Electrolyte Balance: Omega-3s help retain hydration and maintain electrolyte balance, crucial in hot weather and active pursuits.
- Nourish Omega 3 Once Daily Softgels
- Minami Nutrition Morepa Original Smart Fats Omega 3
- Cleanmarine Krill Oil
- Testa Omega-3 Algae Oil
- Eskimo Vegan Omega-3 Plus Vitamins D3 & B12
Friendly Bacteria and Yeasts
In my option, this one trumps the list of essential supplements for a healthy summer holiday.
Traveling often disrupts our regular routines and usual eating habits, plus new environments often impact our gut health.
Friendly bacteria supplements help to support digestive health and strengthen the immune system, therefore they’re a really good choice to bring along with you.
Look for a friendly bacteria product with a variety of strains, including Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, and choose one that is shelf-stable, especially if you’re traveling to destinations with limited refrigeration.
Additionally, I’d like to give a shoutout to Saccharomyces boulardii. Although not a probiotic as such, as it is a non-pathogenic yeast species and not a bacterium, it is instead considered a beneficial yeast or a “probiotic yeast.
Saccharomyces boulardii is a beneficial yeast, and it offers specific health benefits that make it an excellent companion on holidays.
- Gastrointestinal Health: Saccharomyces boulardii helps support the growth of beneficial bacteria while inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria, potentially reducing the risk of gastrointestinal infections and promoting overall gut health.
- Traveler’s Diarrhea Relief: Traveling to new destinations sometimes leads to traveler’s diarrhea due to exposure to unfamiliar bacteria. Saccharomyces boulardii helps to alleviate symptoms and shorten the duration of traveler’s diarrhea.
- Immune System Modulation: Saccharomyces boulardi helps to regulate the immune system. It may enhance the body’s immune response, promoting a balanced and appropriate reaction to pathogens and allergens.
- Optibac Saccharomyces Boulardii
- Optibac Live Cultures For Every Day
- Bio-Kult Advanced Multi-Strain Formula Probiotic
If you’re engaging in outdoor activities, especially in hot and humid climates, replenishing electrolytes becomes essential. Of course, electrolytes are found in foods such as bananas, watermelon, oranges and lemon water with a pinch of salt.
However, one doesn’t always have access to these at a time of need.
Electrolyte drops or powders help to restore electrolyte balance, prevent dehydration, and support optimal hydration levels.
Look for options that contain sodium, potassium, magnesium, and other essential electrolytes.
And there we have it!
Your Essential Supplements for a Healthy Summer Holiday.
Packing the right supplements for your summer holiday helps to support your overall well-being, enhance your natural sun protection, and provide a boost of essential nutrients.
And to be honest, the word summer holiday can easily be interchanged with autumn, spring or winter! These supplements are fantastic for any holiday, as when don’t we want joint support, anti-inflammatory benefits and adequate hydration?!
That being said, it is still important to remember that supplements should complement a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle rather than replace them. Focus on nourishing your body with nutrient-dense foods. Stay hydrated, protect your skin, and savor every moment of your summer getaway.
Wishing you a safe, healthy, and memorable summer holiday!
Check out these blog posts for more holiday wellness advice:
- Holiday Wellness: Maintaining Healthy Habits Even While Traveling
- Nurturing Your Skin Naturally: The Power of After-Sun Care
- Stay Hydrated, Stay Healthy: Tips for Drinking More Water This Summer
Any questions? Drop into your local Nourish store to chat with our expert team and explore our full range of foods, supplements and skincare. You can also find our full product range in our online store.
*Please note that while we are knowledgeable about our products and nutrition, this blog should never be a substitute for medical advice and attention.
Please remember that you should always obtain the all-clear from your doctor before starting any new supplement plan or diet if you’re on any medication
Please note that it’s always advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before starting any new supplements, especially if you have specific health concerns or are taking medications.